Thursday, April 20, 2006

A Bit of Poetry


The Science of Goodbyes
-----
Sometimes I feel my skin is a city
in Spain, where you live as a gypsy

and I hate how you stand in Madrid,
in El Museo del Prado, naked,
hunching over your body
with a dolphin at your feet.

Symmetry, Spirituality:
the crude-and-cruel architecture
of your breasts, as a statue,
much like you,
but refusing to be photographed alive.

I’m learning how to use Cable Theory and
squid nerves, electricity of the brain,
models to explain how I woke up in Barcelona,
dreaming about your molecules.

I wanted to wrap you in myelinated sheets
to conserve your signals
or maybe open up my chest
and shelter you like a butterfly
in a bullet-proof vest.

I sit in the cross-town bus
listening to others in love,
or searching for love,
making up explanations
for the concreteness of angels

or theories of how space-time
folds over our backs
when we swim together.
A scientific theory
can always be proven wrong,
so we believe in astrology,
the throw of the dice, our heart
as an oracle. Vividly I remember: awake,

thinking you were pressed against me, and I see
the marina instead, with the boats and the sea,
clumsily imitating your irises,
not as grey or iridescent.
These are the strange things I dream about:
two bodies with one head,
our souls collapsed like childish lungs.
When dreaming, I am confused
like the wall is confused
when I drive a nail through its flesh,

the same wall upon which I kissed your
necklace, leaving an antiquated aura of glory.
Afterwards, I rearranged my furniture and lungs
to be closer to the lights, to see you reflected
in the windows as a maybe-comeback-goodbye,

expanding, smiling, unraveling the arteries.



"for AJS, the duck, the lion and the green pants."
Published in Quarto Magazine, 2006

1 Comments:

Blogger -Lexi said...

this is lovely.

12:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home